Thursday, June 24, 2010

French Burqa Ban

I have been thinking about it and have decided that maybe when I first read the NY Times Op-Ed on why France wants to ban the wearing of burqas and niqabs in public, I judged it too harshly. After all, I forgot to consider the environmental perspective. Back in the old days, when fuel was cheap, France had the luxury of journeying across many oceans in order to subjugate people who were not French. These days, things are not so easy. The environmentally sensitive xenophobe must instead find ways of discriminating against others locally -- n'est-ce pas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember when I was traveling through France in the early nineties, well-meaning frogs would say things to me like "why do you have all this racism in U.S.?" years later, I finally have my pithy retort (at the time I just wanted to punch them in the face):

"Don't worry, you'll be able to ask that question of yourselves soon enough."